As promised, we wouldn’t leave our faithful HTBL readers without some healthy holiday recipe inspiration – ’tis the season for giving! In our recent Holiday Survival Guide we talked about the importance of a solid balance, and this still rings true. What we didn’t provide is a list of our favorite healthy recipes to help inspire and encourage you this holiday season, so without further adieu…here are our Top 10 picks!
- Pomegranate Gin Sling - For a cocktail, this packs a serious superfruit punch. Remember, limit the amount of drinks so your caloric intake doesn’t shoot through the roof. Balance off by having a water with lemon after each drink.
- Chopped Chef Salad & Herbed Vinaigrette – A yummy starter salad for the holidays, or any day!
- Golden Cauliflower Soup – Cauliflower is really versatile, try it in this soup, or search for other healthy recipes.
- Wild Mushroom Crostini – These little hand-help apps are a party favorite.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples - A perfect balance between the sweet-tart apples and bitter brussels.
- Citrus Brine - Ideal for marinating a turkey, but also delicious for chicken, too.
- Hoppin’ John – The name is a little strange, but this Southern dish is a perfect New Year’s meal meant to bring good luck and prosperity.
- Mushroom-Stuffed Pork Tenderloin – Delish. Enough said.
- Michigan Cherry-Florida Citrus Cobbler - A bit indulgent, but totally worth a few bites. Just keep your serving small, or share with a loved one.
- Cranberry Chocolate Truffles - As Elana puts it, “a lovely little pick-me-up in a sea of holiday junk food.”
Remember to focus on healthy seasonal and local items because before you know it, you’ll be waiting another year to enjoy these little delicacies. Keep things festive and jazz up the recipes with your own little unique twist. Explore for new deliciously healthy recipes and be sure to share them with us!
Stay healthy. Be happy. Enjoy this holiday season with love and joy.
Until next year Tampa Bay…here’s to a fun and healthy 2013! Cheers!